Live betting is probably the most exciting way to bet. There are several strategies and lots of markets to choose from in live betting. One of the main reasons a bettor chooses to bet live is the higher odds compared to those offered before a match.
One very basic in-play betting strategy is specifically tailor-made for those who prefer to follow match goals. The first thing you need to select are the matches where you feel there is a strong possibility that many goals will be scored and this is confirmed by statistics.
If we suppose that the pre-game odds for Over 2.5 were around 1.8, after 20 minutes they should be around 2.00. Before placing the bet you have to feel sure that the teams are going to score. Don’t let yourself be confused by your initial prediction.
Even if you are an experienced bettor, there are still some indicators that must occur before you place a live bet. Most tips for live betting concern betting against the current outcome, but if you enjoy betting on under markets, here some useful tips for your live strategy:
- Avoid high profile competitions: Usually, in these matches, we don’t see many goals. Sometimes because the favourite team’s manager makes lots of changes to the starting eleven, or after scoring 2 goals they try to wind down the clock. Furthermore, in high profile competitions such as World Cups, European Cup competitions. Etc., there is a lot at stake so teams tend to play more cautiously. So there are not many opportunities to take advantage of. With the exception of course to place your bet on corners or on a game in which one team is dying to qualify for the next round.
- Don’t back low scoring teams: Let’s say you’ve done your pre-game homework and you selected a team with a very bad defending attitude. Their match is underway and currently is a goalless draw at halftime. The over 1.5 might be at odds of 2.00 or more, but for a clear reason. Don’t take the bookmaker for a fοοl. There is a reason why they offer those odds. Simply because the other team is low scoring based on current and past form.
- Check the teams’ physical form and motivations: In modern football, players in major leagues play more than 60 matches per year. As you can understand it is impossible for them to be in top form for every match. So as you probably do in pre-game bets, check the form of each team and not only the average home or away goals. Don’t back teams in poor form.
- Always evaluate player substitutions: Barcelona are facing Levante at Camp Nou. In the second half Levante take the lead, Leo Messi and Suarez are on the bench because of an upcoming Champions League match. But Barca need three points in La Liga. So Mr. Setien puts them both on the pitch, at the same time you must bet. Over 1.5 or even 2.0 are good odds to catch.
- Avoid soft bookmakers: It is a good tip to have at least three bookmaker accounts. You should not bet with bookmakers who are quick to place limits on your accounts and/or delay changing odds. These soft bookmakers can be good to take advantage of in pre-match markets, but not for live betting.
- Never place live bets to recover your losses: Live betting can seem an attractive place to claw back losses, but if you follow this approach most of the time you will only lose more. Live betting needs knowledge, focus, and patience. The wise man makes wise bets!
- Don’t play numerous in-play bets at the same time: Focus on one or two bets, watch carefully and wait for the right moment to bet. If you bet too much you may lose mental track.
- Watch the match you are betting on: Before placing your bet you must watch the match you’re interested in. Don’t just check “Live Match Statistics” such as “Dangerous Attacks” and “Off Target shots” because they may give you the wrong picture.
- Study, study, study: In order to win with live betting, you need to study a lot. If stats and info say that a specific team scores nearly 70% of goals in the last 20 minutes of a game, this is what you have to find. It is recommended to keep your own stats book.
- Live analysis: The most basic is that in-play betting allows you to watch what’s going on in the match right before you place your bet. Watching the action even for a couple of minutes before deciding when to bet could be more crucial than hours of research beforehand.
- Value betting: It’s easy to find value in an in-play bet. A favourite offered at odds of 1.30 pre-match could be found at 1.80-1.85 at halftime, but in theory, it has the same possibility of winning the tie. In addition, deciding to back an Over 2.5 goals bet, the odds offered after just a few minutes of play are much higher and keep on rising as the playing time passes without a goal. If you’re patient enough to wait for the right moment, you’ll find a bet with extremely valuable odds.
- Cash-out covering pre-match bets: The cash-out, offered during in-running bets, is another weapon for you to make your bankroll safer. If you’ve placed a pre-match risky bet (putting money on the underdog, for example) and they take the lead, you could “close” your bet with profit, no matter the final score.
- Choose three online bookmakers: You can benefit regardless if you’re a single-bet bettor or you prefer an accumulator. By having three open and active accounts on online bookmakers you can compare and choose the highest odds available every time. This means you gain at least a 10%-15% increase on your total odds, so eventually, your gain should be increased by a similar percentage. This is extremely crucial for your total bank at the end of the season.